MSA Portfolio

 Statement

I want to study architecture at MSA because I always admired how well the various older styles of architecture harmonised with the newer buildings in Manchester. The large architecture student society is also something I am looking forward to as I think it is a great opportunity to socialise and discuss with people who share similar interests. I also believe that MSA’s focus on using technology and teaching humanities such as history is crucial to create versatile architects.


Recently, I visited the Ho Chi Minh City fine arts museum. Not only was the artwork displayed inside the museum valuable, but the building itself was also a piece of stunning art. Built in 1929 by a French architect, I was amazed at how well the art-deco architecture blended Asian and European architectural styles. From the various artworks displayed there, I especially liked Ms Ai Viet’s works, as I could still faintly see the pencil sketches she did underneath the paint, allowing me to gain insight into her work process. Although it was refurbished as a museum, as it was previously used as a house, I couldn’t stop wondering what life would have been like in the mansion 100 years ago.


Although the aesthetics of a building is essential, I think the essence of architecture is the usability of the structure. That is why I am drawn to Alejandro Aravena's Elemental project. This project provided poor families with half-completed houses, just enough for a family to start a home at a cheap price. Although this may seem bizarre, the empty half of the house gave room for families to customise their houses as they earned more money. This time and effort put into making these concrete structures a home allowed families to give value to their houses and thus, is what separates the elemental project from other social housings. As a student who believes that sustainability is extremely important in architecture, I think this project is an excellent example of providing opportunities to create sustainable communities. 


I believe the difference between good and incredible architecture is the experience it gives. The Salk Institute designed by Louis Kanh is a piece of architecture that I would like to experience in person due to the ambience created by Kanh’s ingenious design, using the pacific ocean and the sky as one of its facades. Additionally, the small details Kanh focused on such as the break lines in the concrete walls and the way the railings are connected to the buildings are things that make this building a piece of art. This ability to incorporate the surroundings into the design of the building is something that I would like to acquire.


My Work


Bottles Study (colour pencil on black paper)
I used my observational skills and focused on showcasing my ability to identify light and shadow cast on the bottles. I also used my imagination to vividly capture dynamic water splashes.



Beauty in the Surroundings (fineliner and ballpoint pen)
As a student living in Ho Chi Minh for many years, the chaotic streets and the mixture of modern and French colonial buildings seemed typical to me. However, through these explorations focusing on the smallest details in everyday scenery, I hoped to find excitement in the city that I adore.



Inclusive Board Game Project
As a part of my DT coursework, I designed a board for a traditional Vietnamese game "Ô ăn quan", making it inclusive for both sighted and visually impaired people. During this process, I worked closely with six visually impaired children at a local orphanage, testing and receiving comments on prototypes I created.


The Power in Name (watercolour and squid ink)
I used squid ink, which is used for traditional Korean calligraphy, to outline the drawing and sign my name. Whilst planning this drawing, I thought about how my name can show so much about who I am.

(pencil, colour pencil and ballpoint pen)
(pencil)

Facial Structures
Whilst creating the collage of different faces, I aimed to explore the unique aspects of each face. The pencil drawing of the girl was drawn from reference and my goal was to make it look as realistic as possible.


Game Poster (digital art)
I was inspired to create posters for the mobile game "stack" as I liked the aesthetic colour scheme and fun shapes of the game.


Hanok & Entasis (pencil)
The research and drawings of entasis were created as I found it intriguing how this architectural style existed in both ancient Greece and Korea.


Bicycle Rack
Initially, I designed a public bike rack for my extended essay, which was about improving the green design of our school campus. After creating the first design I knew that I could make improvements. Therefore, I started with some quick sketches to brainstorm and then used Fusion 360 to model the improved design. I used laser cutting to cut out pieces of plywood and assembled them.

Comments